A fire in eastern Quebec that left three dead and 30 missing has police questioning the security system in the senior’s residence where only half the building had a sprinkler system.
The blaze broke out just after midnight Jan. 23.
Initial reports said that 20 residents had been transported to safety.
Several regional fire departments were called to help level the blaze that consumed the 52-unit complex.
Mario Dumont, a former member of the provincial legislature and TVA television host, said on TVA that the residence had been recently renovated in 2000 and was the pride of the village.
Firefighters were able to save the west wing of the nursing home thanks to a firewall that slowed the flames from reaching that part of the building, Infodimanche.com reports.
Authorities are still trying to determine the number of victims and the cause of the fire, police say.
photo source: Francois Drouin/Infodimanche.com